2012 marks a significant milestone in Allentown’s history as the city is celebrating its 250th Anniversary. Throughout the year special events and programs have been held to mark the occasion. The year-long tribute culminates with a weekend of events at the end of the month.
The “Celebration Weekend” will take place from September 27th through the 29th. The events include a Peace and Prosperity Ecumenical Service on September 27th, a Hess’s Hollywood on Hamilton Restaurant Night on the 28th and the Points of Pride Parade and Community Festival on the 29th.
“This is going to be a great weekend for the city of Allentown,” said Mayor Pawlowski. “A lot of planning has gone into this event, and the parade and festival will be the icing on the cake.”
Pastor Bob Stevens of Zion’s Liberty Bell Church who serves as Chairman of the Points of Pride Parade and Festival Committee shared updates about the Parade and Festival:
– An Opening Ceremony featuring the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps from the U.S. Army will take place in front of William Allen High School will kick-off the Parade at 11am.
– The Parade will head South on 17th to Hamilton Street and head East to the Downtown where the festival will take place.
– More than 20 bands will perform in the parade and at the festival.
– More than 70 groups are registered to participate in the parade and more than 90 are signed up for the festival.
– The festival, which begins at noon, features a Capital BlueCross Health Corner with more than 10 partners providing services.
– There will be fun activities for all ages.
For more details on this and other 250th Anniversary events, please visit www.allentown250.com.
Calling all volunteers! We need your help for a special day in Allentown’s history. Be a part of the Points of Pride Parade and Community Festival in Allentown on September 29th, 2012.
At the Points of Pride Parade, spectators will watch history pass by, from 17th down Hamilton Street, as each division of the parade represents fifty years in Allentown’s history.
Then the Points of Pride Community Festival will begin at noon on Hamilton from 8th – 10th Street and on 9th Street there will be vendors, exhibits, children’s activities and entertainers. The fun continues until 7 p.m.
To sign up please visit: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/409054EABAB2AA31-points
if you have questions call or e-mail:
Tara Craig at 610-437-7530 firstname.lastname@example.org.